The following is a sample of the document referred to in D 80.3.2.
Permission to Live Outside the Monastery
for Father/Brother [Name]
monk [and priest] of [Name] Abbey
In consideration of [Here indicate reason for leave, for example: his need to resolve certain personal issues regarding his monastic (and priestly) life], and in accordance with CIC 665.1 and with the consent of the council of seniors of [Name] Abbey, permission to live outside the monastery for a period of one year from the date of acceptance of this permission and its provisions is granted to Father/Brother [Full name].
During the period for which this permission is granted:
1. Although his vows remain, Father/Brother [Name] is free from the obligations that are incompatible with his new condition of life. The obligation of celibacy, however, remains intact.
2. Father/Brother [Name] remains dependent on and subject to the care of the abbot of [Name] Abbey and the local ordinary (CIC 687). [For priests add: He shall not exercise his priesthood without the explicit permission of the abbot and the local ordinary.]
3. The monastic habit may/may not be worn by Father/Brother [Name] [Conditions may be added, for example: may not be worn except at the abbey].
4. Father/Brother [Name] maintains/lacks active and passive voice in the monastic chapter of [Name] Abbey except/even in the case of an abbatial election.
5. [Example of provision: Father/Brother [Name] shall continue to be eligible for the ordinary benefits of the medical care plan held by the monks of [Name] Abbey only until [Date].]
6. Father/Brother [Name] shall be responsible for all his financial obligations and neither [Name] Abbey nor the American-Cassinese Congregation shall be liable for any debts or actions or omissions or obligations whatsoever incurred by him (cf. CIC 639) with due regard for [Example: the single exception noted in no. 5 above].
7. Father/Brother [Name] shall keep the abbot of [Name] Abbey informed of his place of residence and telephone number.
At the expiration of this permission Father/Brother [Name] must return to [Name] Abbey unless further provisions, in accordance with universal law and the proper law of the American-Cassinese Congregation, have been made by the abbot of [Name] Abbey with the consent of the council of seniors. Otherwise, Father/Brother [Name] shall be considered unlawfully absent from the monastery and may be subject to dismissal from the monastery.
Given at [Name] Abbey, this ______________ day of ___________________ in the year ________.
Rt. Rev. [Name], O.S.B., Abbot
Consent of the council of seniors of [Name] Abbey given on [Date].
[SEAL OF THE ABBEY]
Secretary of the council of seniors
I, Father/Brother [Full name,] hereby accept this permission to live outside the monastery and all its provisions.
Father/Brother [Full name,] O.S.B.
American-Cassinese Congregation *
Table of Contents * Appendix 6
Copyright © 2001-2006 American-Cassinese Congregation. All rights reserved.